jimmyelmo
kitty,cuddly,kitten,stuffed dog

Monday, October 29, 2012

Gravitate towards like

Last weekend, I joined my friend Sitti and the other Sittizens to visit this orphanage in Parañaque.  
When Sitti observed that we ended up with babies "like" us, it made me wonder how true that was and whether we do gravitate towards people like us...

photo edited to protect the baby's identity

In my almost 8 years of working in a school, I've always been working with highschool students.  The only interaction I've had with younger children is whenever they visit my co-counselors or when I encounter them when I roam the school grounds... People know how ambivalent I am when it comes to children and perhaps kids know it too because they steer clear of me as well haha Just kidding! I don't bite! I just don't do baby talk and would not initiate the cooing when faced with a baby or a toddler...  I would rather just observe and stay in the background...

Which may have led me to this baby girl in the orphanage... She was literally just observing and keeping quiet amidst the visitors in her little nursery... The rest of the group was welcomed by toothy grins and little arms together with a "carry me plea"... while she just observed and stayed put in her crib... 
While my other friends "picked" their baby, I ended up at her crib and trying to get a response... Wow! It was a test of patience I tell you... She was really just looking at me or just smiling... I was waiting for her to tell me her name! haha impossible of course because she was still too young to talk... 
Good thing my patience paid off... and when she finally "warmed up" I didn't expect her to start running around inside her crib and I mean literally! You know this sudden bust of adrenaline when you just need to run and expend this energy you have! Gah! Imagine the Tasmanian devil running around in a crib - that's what she did until she got tired of it and got distracted with the toys I was handing her...And she finally wound down and seated herself... Whoops! Define adrenaline rush...

Looking back at the time I spent with that little girl makes me wonder if whether you do gravitate with people who are more like you... As the old adage, birds of the same feather...and in the next breath, opposites attract too! So go figure! haha

One thing I'm sure of, I enjoyed the time I spent in that orphanage - it was a first for me in the sense that I really interacted with the babies - very unlikely of me because I would rather just observe and stay quiet...

Maybe it just takes a certain little soul to magnetize you... No wonder babies are the center of attention... you can't help but gravitate towards their innocence and effervescence.



No comments: