jimmyelmo
kitty,cuddly,kitten,stuffed dog

Friday, March 28, 2008

music appreciation lessons @ Mag:Net Cafe

I am not really a fan of performing artists...i am not an expert...i really just appreciate...and i even end up giving noncommittal, sometimes unenthusiastic comments just so I can say something about the artist and his music...sometimes I even reserve judgment and say that his music is OK despite his numerous platinum records and sold out shows or whatever...hanep! harsh critic ba? I don't think so...just someone who is not-so-quite-indifferent when it comes to music...

But...I am so open to exploring new genres...I listen to alot of music naman...though I can't tell which is which...wahahaha...I especially can't tell who sang this...what's the song's title and it's lyrics...what happens is...what I realized...is that what attracts my attention is the melody and not the lyrics...I learn of the song's lyrics and meaning when I really have listened to the song over and over again...(reminded me of this one song that I liked...i just recently realized it's a song of the other woman for her lover...saving all my love for you...wahaha)

And so...(haba ng intro na toh ah kainis)


I thought of just blogging about what I thought of the performers during Musik Lokal's sponsored gig at Mag:net Cafe Bonifacio Hi-Street...

I was invited through text by 2 of my friends...they said that our other friend invited us to watch this gig happening that night...150 entrance fee to watch a lot of performers like Cynthia Alexander, Taken by Cars, Typecast, Pedicab and Radioactive Sago Project (who?! di ko sila kilalang lahat wahaha)...and I texted the master mind and I asked her..."hey I heard you're inviting us to watch this gig tonight...is this a hoax? wahahaha" and she replied..."yup it's true"...haha...it's a hoax nga...nyahahaha

So anyway...since I had nothing to do and Makati was like...a few rides away from school so kahit ma-late ako kasi gabi naman magumpisa ang mga gigs na ganun...and since mura lang naman ang entrance fee diba...so why not?! mukhang sulit naman kasi daming performers...kuripot ba?! nyahaha...

So off I went...to Mag:net Cafe Bonifacio Hi-Street...my travel going there is an adventure in itself already and will tell you about it in a seprate blog...

Hmmmmm....alright....so who's up first?


At around 10:30pm? (huwat?! hanep!) Cynthia Alexander took the stage...ok so my buddies told me that this is the sister of Joey Ayala...and with her getup and facial features one can assume that too...but ok fine, I sat there and listened to her tuning and setting up her guitar...hmmm...will I be moved or what?...honestly after 4 songs (I know she sang at least 4 songs haha) I didn't understand a word she sang...but that's irrelevant for me since I so liked her voice and how she delivered and performed...gets?...I was head banging and dancing to her music in no time...hmmm...I just can't recall...she reminds me of a foreign act kasi haaaay...anyway...for me she is like the English singing version of Grace Nono wahahaha....so rating for her...5 out of 8 haha


Cynthia Alexander




Next in line is this noisy, senses-shattering band (had to grab this term from Jeff haha) named Typecast...stereotypical of them to be dressed in black with their unruly mop of hair...and even from a far I know they're not cute boys wahaha...mind yu though...i was head banging to their music...and yup you guessed it...I truly did not understand one word from their songs wahaha...I do believe that was when my headache miraculously disappeared...but when they sang this song wherein the vocalist was eating his mic and really speaking the language of the underworld i believe...that reaffirm my conviction that nope I am not a fan of noisy rock bands haha...so I rate these guys...4 out of 10 haha


Typecast

Now the next performer was surprising to say the least...it's been awhile since I've watched a band with a female vocalist...perform live I mean...and hmmm...more peculiar to hear the lady go...are you ready to ride with us?...naks! Taken By Cars ...I wonder why they chose the name...I think from all the performances that night...the most intriguing for me...and one which I might go out and search and buy their cd is of this band's hehe on 2nd thought magDL muna ko mp3 nila nyahaha...I just failed to ask for the title of the 3rd song they sang nyahaha...dapat pala gumawa ako ng playlist eh...so rating is 4 out of 5... uy! tumataas...

Taken By Cars



Urbandub

And I was so thrilled to discover that the next band was Urbandub! wohoo! it's a given that I like their music...and don't expect me to know the titles and lyrics...basta ang masasabi ko lang yan ang isang emo band na gusto ko...I think it's because of their English songs...and I find that unique in an opm band...meron ba silang Tagalog song?...and it was during this time when the people were literally up on their feet...dancing and head banging...and singing along with the band...hanep! dami nilang fans dun!...napuno talaga ung lugar nung sila na ang nasa stage...so I rate them 11 out of 10 wahahaha...galing eh!

Urbandub


My LSS that night...was Sandwich singing Zaido...that was their first song as we were leaving the place...pero hey! I know too that they're one great band as well...kaya lang ang pangit ni Mong nung gabing yun kainis! nyahaha




Sandwich

No comments: