jimmyelmo
kitty,cuddly,kitten,stuffed dog

Monday, June 2, 2008

music appreciation lessons @ 19East

I sooo miss watching gigs at this venue!....and only Sitti can make me watch there again haha...


When I learned about the Sitti Lights bar tour and saw her slated to perform at 19east...I already penciled it in my calendar...so there were a lot? of disappointed people? - I for one was - at merk's bar on my birthday haha...Really didn't plan to watch that gig in Makati in the first place...and was eagerly anticipating the one at 19east coz that was - so to speak - my home turf! haha...(that reminds me same time last year I also celebrated my post bday at one of sitti's gig at the mandarin...this is becoming a habit hehe)


enough of that...


So since I'm used to the gigs at 19East...I knew it would start late....so I left the house around 9pm...and less than 3 hours later...after 2 front acts by this lady named Marielle? (discovery of Marissa Sanchez...she's good huh...may future ang girl) and this contestant of the Little Big Star? contest named Patrice... (I really don't like kids singing songs making them too old for their age)...


Sitti finally hits the stage


There were a few new songs - to my ear anyway...was used to hearing her sing her "intro" song - Berimbau...but she started with the song Batucada sa Calesa (tama ba teri?)...then went into Berimbau...and singing songs from her mybossanova album: Ikaw Lamang (special request ng absent na si flora)...Kung Di Rin Lang Ikaw...Cross My Heart...and songs from her Sitti Live album: Voce Abuso...Lanca Perfume...Pais Tropical (Sitti exclaimed that it's been eons and light years since she sang this song at gigs)...and the famous song by Sergio Mendes: Put a Little Love Away (unfortunately mJ wasn't around to coach me in jotting down the song titles so forgive me for some minor mistakes hehe) - I first thought this was saving a little love or something....sorry! palpak ako sa name that tune...Alvin & Teri had to help me that night haha - another song from her album...Look of Love....and before the next song she sang a bossa nova version of a birthday song and greeted all the celebrants in the house...yey! and sang my fave of course! the medley - O Pato / Bimbom / So Danco Samba (tama ba mJ? hehe)...then she segued to this song that neither one of us knew the title but I think it was Brazil...



then she called on stage - Radha...grabe! can that girl sing! hanep! saan nya nakukuha powers nya?! ang galing ha! They sang Don't you Worry bout a Thing...and Radha sang If I Ain't Got You by Alicia Keys....after that short break...Sitti returned to do 2 more sets!...joke!



the next song...she did say...she was singing just two notes..."It's not..." then all the audience exclaimed...awwwwww!...upon hearing the first lines of the song Nearness of You...another special request now by Mayor Bernabe (yup the mayor of Paranaque was in the house) - Girl form Ipanema...gosh! I missed this!...and rocking the house with the aero expert Mhyk with Magalenha - but of course!...



and when she sang Shaker Song (I really still can't identify this song unless someone tells me haha) she introduced our Sittizens Outreach Project for the Batulao scholars and started passing around the canister...thanks for your generosity!


she ended the night with the all time bossa nova theme song - at least for me - Mas Que Nada...


of course not! she had one more set...joking again!...after being egged on by the crowd to do an encore...she finally gave in to the chanted requests and sang Para Sa Akin....awwwww really?! for me? hehe


so do I really need to do this? what else do you expect? of course I loved the show! plus points to the bandmates Naldy and his egg-shaker-jamming, backup vocals of Adam and JC and of course Steven! wohoo!...I give the guys 4 out of 5 for doing a mean Magalenha! wohoo!...and to Sitti of course...biased ako eh...I did love - and always do - her giddiness and playfulness onstage...esp when she discovered that the mayor of Paranaque was in the house haha...she became all prim and proper after that...not! haha...so I give Sitti 11 out of 10 haha...plus points for her flexibility! - she stretched and extended the canister to the audience from the stage haha (wait for Mia's pics to see what I mean)



*****



click any of the pictures above to see more photos

No comments: