jimmyelmo
kitty,cuddly,kitten,stuffed dog

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

it's all in the name

See how Pinoy sounding these names are...

I have never met someone...with the name "Diwata" before...
and she can sing too!...that's Gayle, vocalist of
- and I have never watched a band a more Filipino-sounding name as - Layag!
and to hear them sing Pinoy...Tagalog songs...wow!
and they call their music...world!



hmmmmm

this band surely captured my attention...

hope to catch more of their gigs...



*****

speaking of names...
and labels...
the Music industry is the highly-riddled-title-laden-industry I know of...
King of Pop to Prince of R&B...
to the Philippines' Queen of Bossa Nova... SITTI!
and any certified sittizen should know by now what Sitti's name stands for... Do you know?




Catch our princess in her various gigs posted online sittionline.multiply.com

to view photos from Sitti's latest gig @ 19East last June 27 click here



*****


I know the difference when I'm called Ma'am or "cher!" or Miss...
Since I work in a school...in high school in particular...
students address their teachers with Ms or Sir...
but Freshmen, since they're fresh out of GS...
they still (annoyingly) call their teachers...teacher!
or shortcut - "Cher!"... and I always stress...
sorry but I'm not a chair...call me Miss Kit!

and I recognize my former students by the way they refer to me...
when they are in college...and come back to visit me in Seton....
they call me Ma'am now...haha
that's how they call their profs in college...
but I still insist it should be Miss...

but in truth, I allowed them to drop the Miss - since we are all Seton alumni, right...
though they still can't do that and simply call me "Kit" haha

well personally, I can't call my old professors/teachers by their first names
now that we're like barkada...
so I understand my former kids' predicament
still I want them to drop the Miss


*****

incidentally...as much as I go out with my friends...
I know that I'd bump into some of my former kids at the mall or at gigs...
that's one of the reasons why I want them to drop the "miss"
coz I don't want to hear my name called in public haha
it is too obvious what my profession is!

so despite the fact that my friends know what my profession is...
I keep a low profile whenever we go out...

and new friends or acquaintances of mine...are surprised mostly to discover...
that I work in a school...maybe because I look young for my age?!?
haha! i wish!

and to my chagrin... my new found friend and acquaintance...
- who ironically has the same name as my super kulit college barkada -
discovered my profession...and kept on calling me Ma'am! the whole time
we were out having late/morning breakfast after a gig...
it was obvious that he was just fresh out of college...
and been a very well behaved student

oh well...

it's all just a name anyway...


*****

and speaking of names...
why do people...mostly guys...name their cars? haha
I know a girl friend of mine who refers to her new car - Carla!
and I bet you can name a few guy friends who refer to their cars by name too...

but if I were to name my own vehicle...
I'd choose the best sounding name!

something like...



OPTIMUS PRIME!!!

Now try and beat that!

No comments: