jimmyelmo
kitty,cuddly,kitten,stuffed dog

Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Fault in our Stars by John Green


Nope! This is not a book review... Shedding a few tears which is a sure sign that I loved a book - which I did after reading this one - is enough to let you know that this book is another good one by John Green...

I'm just going to list down some quotes that I bookmarked in my Kindle.  These lines/quotes might be a little SPOILERISH so consider yourself warned! haha



"I fear oblivion," he said without a moment's pause. 
 "I fear it like the proverbial blind man who's afraid of the dark." 

*****

"Sometimes people don't understand the promises they're making when they make them," I said
Isaac shot me a look.  "Right of course.  But you keep the promise anyway.  
That's what love is.  Love is keeping the promise anyway."

*****

"That's the thing about pain," Augustus said... 
"It demands to be felt."

*****

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars/But in ourselves" 
Easy enough to say when you're a Roman nobleman (or Shakespeare!) 
but there is no shortage of fault to be found amid our stars.

*****

"The dead are visible only in the terrible lidless eye of memory.  
The living, thank heaven, retain the ability to surprise and to disappoint"

*****

"You realize that trying to keep your distance from me 
will not lessen my affection for you."

*****
"Do you know, what Dom Perignon said after inventing champagne?...
He called out to his fellow monks, 
'Come quickly: I am tasting the stars'"

"Of course," said our waiter.  
"We have bottled all the stars this evening, my young friends."

*****

"People always get used to beauty, though."
"I haven't gotten used to you just yet."
(BOOM! hahaha -not part of the quote!)

*****

"Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace.  
It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."

*****

"You are a side effect," Van Houten continued, 
"of an evolutionary process that cares little for individual lives.  
You are a failed experiment in mutation."

*****

"You know what I believe?  I remember in college I was taking this math class, 
this really great math class taught by this tiny old woman.  
She was talking about fast Fourier transforms 
and she stopped midsentence and said, 
'Sometimes it seems the universe wants to be noticed'"

*****

"How are the eyes?"

"Oh, excellent...  
I mean, they're not in my head is the only problem."

"Awesome, yeah...Not to one-up you or anything 
but my body is made out of cancer."

*****

"Ma'am, your daughter's car has just been deservedly egged by a blind man.  
Please close the door and go back inside or we'll be forced to call the police."

*****

"What's that?"
"That laundry basket?"
"No.  Next to it."
"I don't see anything next to it."
"It's my last shred of dignity.  It's very small."

*****

"some infinities are bigger than other infinities...
There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set.
I want more numbers than I'm likely to get..."

*****

"The pleasure of remembering had been taken from me, 
because there was no longer anyone to remember with. 
It felt like losing your co-rememberer meant losing the memory itself..."

*****

"You are going to live a good and long life filled 
with great and terrible moments that you cannot even imagine yet!"

*****

"There's a great quote in Gus' house, 
one that both he and I found very comforting: 
Without pain, we couldn't know joy"

*****

"But it was sure a privilege to love him, huh?
Gives you an idea how I feel about you."

*****

"The real heroes anyway aren't the people doing things; 
the real heroes are the people NOTICING things, paying attention."

*****

"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, 
but you do have some say in who hurts you."


(Gosh! I got teary-eyed a bit rereading a few of those favorite lines again!)



No comments: