jimmyelmo
kitty,cuddly,kitten,stuffed dog

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"my" Twilight review

I have read a lot of reviews about this movie...ranging from bad to good and even to the confused...coming from critics and from both Twilight fans and non-readers...and here I am adding my two cents worth into the fray so to speak haha...and the more reviews and spoilers I get to read...I get more curious about it and would want to make my own opinion...

I have been psyching myself up...and I know that there has never been a movie adaptation that has surpassed the books' popularity or depth for that matter...so I was quite apprehensive about how I would receive this movie cause I am a reader and a fan - almost Twilight addict - and I expect that I would end up comparing the book with the movie...which is quite unfair really...so I was challenging myself to be objective...and it was tough haha...


But I'll be realistic...(and throughtout this post may sometimes be defensive - I am a fan alright) about this movie...because...though I am a difficult person to please...I was quite entertained!...I enjoyed the movie...it was good...not great nor exceptional...not Oscar worthy or the visual effects did not bowl me over for sure (duh! this is no HP or Frank Miller movie)... no movie is perfect for me!...but it wasn't bad either...

Some questions though I'd like to answer: Will non-readers understand the movie? Yes! Will girls and boys like the movie? Certainly... well maybe the girls haha - This is what I realized...it's more of a teen-girlie-flick more than anything else - click here to know more of what I'm talking about ...So those guys expecting to see gore and mayhem and violence depicted in most vampire movies...this is not your movie!...How was the movie's pacing? To a reader it might seem too fast-paced esp if you have this penchant of identifying the book scenes and watching out for it in the movie...gosh! that would really spoil it for you coz not all the scenes you love will be in the movie...you should know that haha...Was it worth watching? Yes definitely...if you would also want to see and to hear the reactions of your "seatmates" - you can tell who were the readers and who were there just out of curiosity - I was highly entertained by these side comments as well while I was watching haha...


And as I said it is not a perfect movie...so there are good and bad points of course...and let's get to the bad points first...the editing left alot to be desired...a few scenes for me were abruptly cut or phased from one scene to the next and lack the proper transition for me...or was I just slow? haha...and I esp was annoyed by the little dark spot on the corner of the screen (this signifies a cut or next reel i think)...this makes me want to buy the DVD once it's out haha...another point is hmmmm maybe since they have only 2 hours for the movie...the budding relationship between Bella and Edward lacked more depth...you saw the chemistry...it was there yeah...their acting added to the sexual tension and almost torture they experience being and not being with each other...but well...I liked to hear more dialogue and witty repartee...that's just me I guess...and a few of the characters didn't get a lot of screen time or dialogue (Jasper in particular) so they really had to rely on their facial expressions and acting...oh and the visual effects were just good and nothing extraordinary...

But aside from those few points...that did not dampen my enjoyment of the movie...yup! as I said...I was entertained to say the least...I did not love as drool to the max love the movie!...but it was worth watching...again and again haha...which I really plan to do...

I particularly enjoyed...which surprised me...the character of Charlie and his interactions with Bella...whenever he was in the scene...and he cracked his deadpan..."I heard that before!" haha...it was unexpectedly funny..he made up for the seriousness of the movie...also the funny antics of Eric and Mike...those are funny too...really did not expect that...

I was quite surprised though about my fave scenes... Loved the baseball scene! the song by Muse - supermassive blackhole - was so apt for that scene! I was bopping my head to the music while watching that scene haha....(go buy the Twilight OST!) and I liked the whole ballet scene huh...nice! They took risks with the mirrors and Alice being the tough gal! haha






And of course...my fave scenes as expected were the Biology scenes - esp the first one where the scene captures Edward with owl's wings behind him haha...made him look more like a fallen angel! - and the other romantic scenes like the confrontation scene in the meadow and of course that Kiss! now that's what I call sexual tension haha...they handled it quite well...


So it's a foregone conclusion that I WILL watch this movie again - as often as I can...esp since I would like to challenge myself and identify all the songs from the OST with which scene it was played haha...and memorize new lines from the movie - though of course there were poignantly familiar lines from the book used in the movie - there were good lines from the script too...and am especially curious to be seated in a movie theater with squealing girls around (our screening had a demure audience haha)...

Kudos to the actors...Kristen and Robert were able to meet my expectations and brought a new dimension to their characters...the other supporting characters were commendable as well...this makes me more eager for the next movie...and see how can do better..

And to end this...I'd just like to share the sentiments to which I agree with - of the others who have watched the movie and liked it...even loved the movie huh...


I am going to be very honest in my review of Twilight. Thus, it should first be known that I went to see the film not expecting to be overly thrilled.


We have been waiting on this movie for months. People have scoured the internet and fansites for every photo, soundtrack clip and interview there is. There are t-shirts and perfumes and merchandise for this movie long before it is even out, or anyone has seen it, or anyone has even had a chance to decide if they like it. The fact is that it has been so hyped, it almost seemed as if there was no possible way it could live up to the expectations that I and thousands of other fans had.


But then, it did.


To read the rest of Twilight Guy's review click here


and this review is the reason for my blog's title...my Twilight review


Even though Twilight might not be the best movie ever made, it will always be perfect in my mind. I will be able to ignore the campy moments and abstinence preaching that other critics have been so fond of dwelling on. Instead, I will remember how I felt when Edward finally admits he can no longer stay away from Bella. I'll remember that rush of joy as I watched the Cullen's enter the cafeteria. I'll remember that at its very core – this is my Twilight.


To read the rest of this review by Kim Wetter click here

So how do I rate the movie?...Hmmm...the "critic" in me gives it a 3.5 out of 5...while the fan in me give it a 4 out of 5...but then that's just my opinion...


So don't take my word for it and just watch the movie for yourself...


This is now a guilty pleasure of mine...that I think I won't let go just yet haha...


No comments: