jimmyelmo
kitty,cuddly,kitten,stuffed dog

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Dream On - Chapter 10, Once In a Lifetime

DREAM ON is a story about a boy who is transported back to the times of the gladiators in Rome... or was it? I can't quite recall anymore... I would be going through the story again as I retype it here...

DISCLAIMER: All scenes, characters, names and places that may be similar to real situations are all coincidental and are just made up by a 12-year old kid.

‐------------‐

“Come on wake up young man,” a policeman said as he was trying to wake up Mikey, sleeping by a bench at the park in their village.  “Come on, wake up now, beggars are not allowed to sleep here.  This is a private park and only residents pass by here,” the policeman said as he took Mikey by the arm and led him out of the park.  “And don’t ever make a mistake of coming back again,” he concluded.

“Me, a beggar?” Mikey asked himself.  “How can that be?  I live here, I know this place.  I know this is private park and I recognize that policeman, he only looks younger.  And how can he say I’m a beggar?” Mikey muttered to himself as he looked at what he was wearing.  “Rags?” Mikey asked amazed.  “But how can I be wearing rags?”

“You dreamt of it,” a ghostly voice said as it echoed in the ears of Mikey.  “Old Hernews, is that you?” Mikey asked as he recognized the voice.  “Old Hernews? Where are you?” Mikey asked as he went from one corner to another searching for Old Hernews.

“Just remember I’m always with you,” the ghostly voice said as it faded away.

“Old Hernews…” Mikey said.

As the voice drifted away, Mikey quickly thought of going to his house and changing his clothes.  “And I would like to take a bath too,” Mikey said.

As he walked towards his home, he passed by the house of Livie, Kate , Liza and Jeremy, but found no signs of people.

“Livie’s house is still being built while Kate and Liza’s houses are for rent, yet no one is living there… while Jeremy’s house is not even being built yet,” Mikey said to himself amazed.  “What is going on?” Mikey asked himself as he rested at  tree by the sidewalk and thought of what’s happening.

As Mikey thought of it, he snapped his fingers  saying, “So that’s why… I remember now… I  went back through time… I really am in the past…. Thinking that the house of my friends would be occupied by them… And to think of it maybe even my house…” Mikey’s words were cut off as he quickly ran to his house hoping to see someone.

As he arrived at his house, he saw a sign hanging by the gate saying, “For sale, yet no one has bought it yet,” Mikey said.  “Where can I go now?  I don’t have a place to stay the week.  What will I do?” Mikey said in despair.

Mikey stood up and walked down the block to see if he knows where he can stay.  And he thought, “How about if I go to Ms. Austin’s house… she could still be there…” Mikey said as he ran down the curve to Ms. Austin’s house.

As he arrived, he was relieved to see the blue sedan of Ms. Austin parked in the garage with another red sedan.  “There must be somebody home,” Mikey said as he explored the place and saw a sign hanging by the fence. “It says room for rent,” Mikey said as he read it.  “This answers my problem,” Mikey said as he quickly knocked at the door.

At his first knock, no one answered but again Mikey knocked saying, “As Old Hernews said all you need is patience, my lad,” Mikey said as he even imitated the voice of Old Hernews.  And in no time, someone answered the door.  And in Mikey’s amazement, it was Ms. Austin who opened the door.

As Mikey saw Ms. Austin opening the door, he quickly said, “Good afternoon, Ms. Austin.”

“You know me, young man?” Ms. Austin asked.

“Don’t you remember who I am?... I’m…”Mikey’s words were cut off as he mumbled to himself, “Don’t you remember… you went back in time.  No wonder Ms. Austin does not recognize you,” Mikey said as he looked back at the waiting Ms. Austin. “Well I asked your neighbours what your name was,” Mikey said.

“Oh is that so,” Ms. Austin said.  “You may come in,” she said as she opened wide door the door and led Mikey into her home and telling him to take a seat.

Mikey was looking around at the things displayed in the home of Ms. Austin.  “This is the same couch where I brought Ms. Austin when she was dizzy that day,” Mikey said to himself as Ms. Austin arrived with a plate full of biscuits.

“Here you are, young man,” Ms. Austin said sweetly.

“And what is your name?” Ms. Austin asked as she took a sip from her coffee which she brought in together with the biscuits.

“Mikey, ma’am,” Mikey said as he took a bite from his biscuit.

“What can I do for you?” Ms. Austin asked as she put down her cup of coffee.

“I saw the sign in front of your house saying ‘room for rent’,” Mikey said.

“And you want to occupy it…ah…” Ms. Austin said as she was trying to remember Mikey’s name.

“Mikey, ma’am,” Mikey quickly answered.

“Oh yes,” Ms. Austin said.  “Do you want to occupy it, Mikey?” Ms. Austin asked as she took a sip from her coffee.

“Yes, Ms. Austin,” Mikey proclaimed.

“Do you have the money to pay for the rent?” Ms. Austin asked.

“How much do I need to cover the expenses?” Mikey asked.

“It depends.  If for how long you’re going to stay,” Ms. Austin said as she leaned onto the seat.

“I’m only going to stay for a week,” Mikey said as he looked at the vases displayed on the table just beside the couch.  Upon looking at the table, he noticed a picture frame just beside it, recognizing it was the same picture Ms. Austin showed him.

“If I may ask,” Mikey said getting the frame from the table.  “May I ask who are they?” Mikey asked as he showed the picture frame to Ms. Austin.  “Oh that is my sister with her husband and her baby boy… and that’s me just beside them,” Ms. Austin said as she was pointing to the faces in the photo.

“Do they live here?” Mikey asked curiously.

“Yes they do,” Ms. Austin said sweetly.  “Well I better show you where you’re going to sleep,” Ms. Austin said as she stood up and Mikey put down the frame on the table and followed her through the hall.

“Here’s your room,” Ms. Austin said as she opened the door of the second room from the right.  The oom was filled with furniture.  It had a small TV, a small couch and a medium-sized bed and cabinet just beside the door, facing the glass window.

“It looks beautiful,” Mikey exclaimed as he went inside the room looking at the furniture; opening the cabinets, drawers and even checking if the TV is working,

“It even has a set of clothes,”  Mikey said as he opened some drawers.

“Yes, it’s the old clothes of Mr. Miller and I think it will fit you perfectly,” Ms. Austin said as she smiled at Mikey.

“Oh, Ms. Austin,” Mikey paused. “Can I explore your lovely house for just a minute?” Mikey pleaded.

“Sure you can.  You can walk around the house while I start cooking dinner,” Ms. Austin said.  “And thanks for the compliment,” Ms. Austin said as she headed to the kitchen and was getting things from the refrigerator, which she needed for cooking.  “Any minute now and my sister will be coming,” Ms. Austin added.

Mikey went to the living room and again looked at the picture frame on the table, just beside the couch.  As Mikey picked up the frame, he noticed something hanging from the baby’s neck.  “It’s really the same pendant I’m wearing,” Mikey said amazed.

HONK!  HONK!  HONK!  HONK!

“Who could that be?” Mikey said as he put down the frame and looked out the window to see who was coming.

“Mikey, please open the door.  That could be them,” Ms. Austin said as she was trying the stew she was cooking.  “When you open the door, introduce yourself.  They don’t know you, remember,” Ms. Austin said as she was cutting some of the vegetables and was putting them in the stew.

“Here they come now,” Mikey said as  he quickly opened the door to let the couple in.

“Good evening, sir, ma’am,” Mikey said as he was looking at the couple, who looks exactly like him.

“Who are you?” Mr. Miller asked.

“My name is Mikey.  I’m the one who occupied the room you rented out,” Mikey said smiling as he looked at the baby which Mrs. Miller was holding.  “Please come in,” Mikey said as he opened the door wider, letting the couple inside.

“Michelle, we’re home!” Mrs. Miller said as she brought the baby in the room while Mr. Miller took a seat  by the couch, got a newspaper and started reading it.

“Where are you?” Mrs. Miller asked as she went out of the room into the hall.

“I’m here, Jenny,” I’m cooking dinner,” Ms. Austin said as she was getting some plates and was putting them on the table.  “Okay let’s eat!” Ms. Austin said.

“Mikey, you can join us,” Ms. Austin said as MIkey quickly went into the kitchen and looked for a vacant seat and occupied it.

“Is your real name Mikey?” Mrs. Miller asked as she took some veggies from the plate in from of her.

“No, ma’am.  My real name is Michael,” Mikey said a he took a sip of stew from the cup in front of him.

“What a coincidence, our son’s name is Michael too,” she smiled.

“If I may ask, how old is your baby boy?” Mikey asked.

“How do you know it’s a boy?” Mr. Miller asked sternly.

“Don’t worry, John, I told him,” Ms. Austin said. “Well to answer your question, he’s just ten months old,” Ms. Austin said as she took a bite from the food she was eating.

“Two months more and our baby will be celebrating his first birthday,” Mrs. Miller said smiling. “What brings you here, Michael,” Mrs. Miller asked.

“Just call me Mikey,” he said.  “I’m new in this neighbourhood,” Mikey answered.  “So I decided to look for a place where I can stay for the week.”

“Here, Mikey, would you like more of the stew?” Mr. Miler asked as he handed to Mikey the bowl of stew.

“Thank you, sir,” Mikey said.

W-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-H-H-H-H-H!

“Oh no!” exclaimed Mrs. Miller as she rose up on her feet and quickly ran to the room of the baby.

“Mikey, can you please assist my wife with whatever she’s doing?” Mr. Miller said as he tried to look at where his wife went.

“My pleasure,” Mikey said as he too ran after Mrs. Miller.

As he arrived in the room of the baby, he saw Mrs. Miller carrying the baby in her arms and was rocking him back to sleep.

“Do you need any help?” Mikey asked.

“No I don’t it’s alright but thank you for being there to help,” Mrs. Miller said as she carefully put down the baby on the crib.

“He looks so cute,” Mikey said as he was looking at the baby sleep.  “What’s that hanging around his neck?” Mikey asked as he noticed the necklace.

“It’s a necklace which we gave him,” Mrs. Miller said as she was patting the head of the baby.  “You know he kinda looks like you,” Mrs. Miller said as she noticed the necklace hanging around Mikey’s neck.

“What a nice necklace you have.  It’s just like that of Michael’s,” Mrs. Miller said.  “Who gave it to you?” she asked.

“Well my real parents gave it tome,” Mikey said.  “To tell you the truth, you and Mr. Miller make a good couple and good parents too,” Mikey proclaimed.  “Your baby is lucky to have parents like you,” he added.

“Well thank you, that’s rather sweet of you!” Mrs. Miller said as she pulled up the blanket of the baby.  “Ssssh! The baby’s sleeping now so let’s go back to the kitchen,” Mrs. Miller said as she turned off the light and walked back to the dining table.

“So how’s Michael?” her husband asked as he saw her with Mikey coming towards the table.

“He’s now sleeping like a small cuddly bear,” Mrs. Miller said as she pulled back her seat and sat down.

“That’s wonderful,” Ms. Austin said.  “Now let’s go back to our dinner,” Ms. Austin said as she got the plate of stew and was filling her cup with it.

As they all finished, Ms. Austin was clearing the table with the help of Mikey.  While Mr. & Mrs. Miller were watching on their black and white TV and talking about the day’s work.

“Here you go, Ms. Austin,” Mikey said as he handed Ms. Austin a plate, which he got from the table.  “It’s the last one,” Mikey said smiling – not his usual way.

“Thank you, Mikey.  You’re a great help even if you have not stayed here for a week yet,” Ms. Austin said as she remembered to say something.  “Mikey, if I may ask.  When are you going to pay the rent?” Ms. Austin asked as she was wiping some plates which she just finished washing.

“Well, Ms. Austin, I’m going to check if I brought money,” Mikey said as he quickly ran to his room and hastily locked the door.

After locking the door, he waved his hands.  “I wish I had the money to make these people happy,” Mikey said but in the middle of his magic.  “Hep! Hep!” Old Hernews said as he appeared on the bed of Mikey’s room, interrupting him.

“Old Herenews, why are you stopping me?” Mikey asked as he was only holding half of the money.

“Well I just want to remind you of something,” Old Hernews said.

“What is it?” Mikey asked.

“Well let’s put it this way, you only have a few more hours to stay here and when that is finished you have to go back home,” Old Hernews said as he felt sad for Mikey.  “Don’t worry, that little time will be enough,” he said as he flew closer to Mikey.

“But that time is not enough!  It’s been years since I have not seen my parents yet… now that I have the chance here it still has to end this way?!  I have not been with them even for a day and now you’re going to say that my time’s up?!” Mikey said as he fell on his bed, teary-eyed.  “If only I knew this was going to happen, I wish you did not help me anymore.”

After Mikey said that, all was silent.  Old Hernews was thinking of a way to cheer up Mikey.  “Can I see the baby?” Old Hernews asked changing the subject.

“But they’ll see you,” Mikey said as he led Old Hernews to the other room.

“You look cute when you’re a baby,” Old Hernews said laughing.  “But I still look cute,” Mikey protested. “But I still say that the baby is cuter than you,” Old Hernews argued.

“Who are you talking to, Mikey?” Mrs. Miller asked as she entered the room, wondering who Mikey was talking to.

“Well I’m just talking to myself,” Mikey said as he quickly looked where Old Hernews was, the he saw Old Hernews standing by the crib still looking at the baby.

“You sure are full of imaginations, young man,” Mrs. Miller said smiling to Mikey as she walked closer to the baby and carried him in her arms.  “I’ll take young Michael out for a walk,” Mrs. Miller said.

“Can I go with you?” Mikey asked.

“Sure you can,” Mrs. Miller said.

“I better go with you,” Old Hernews whispered in Mikey’s ear.

“On second thought, we better not leave anymore.  It’s cold outside and the baby might get sick,” Mrs. Miller said as she put down the baby Michael back in his crib.

“Too bad,” Mikey exclaimed.  “It’s a nice day to have a walk.”

“Yes, and it’s a nice day to have a cold too,” Mrs. Miller proclaimed.

“Jenifer, come over,” Mr. Miller called out.  “There’s a nice program on.”

“What is it? “ she asked as she approached Mr. Miller sitting on the couch and as Mr. Miller welcomed her with a hug.

As Mikey and Old Hernews looked on, “I’m warning you, Mikey!  You only have a few more hours to stay here and when that time is finish you have to go back to your parents,” Old Hernews announced.

“I know… I know… I’m not deaf! Exclaimed Mikey as he stood beside the crib of Michael.

“Old Hernews, can you not extend my deadline?” he asked as he was gently patting the head of the baby.

“No, I can’t because you’ll… oops!” Old Hernews cut off.

“What do you mean oops?” Mikey asked.  “Old Hernews, tell me what’s in your mind!” he insisted.

“If I tell you, you’ll get disappointed,” Old Hernews proclaimed.

“Come on, tell me!” Mikey said furiously.  Old Hernews did not say a word as he slowly disappeared.  “Old Hernews…..!”

Then Mikey heard a whispering voice, “ You’ll know it when it’s your time to leave!  But I tell you if you don’t want this to happen, you would wish to go home this very instant,”  the voice said as it drifted away.

“What does Old Hernews mean?” Mikey asked himself.  “What could happen which I would not like to see…?  Well never mind. Old Hernews must be only joking,” he said.  “I better go and sleep,” he proclaimed as he said good night to everyone.

-------

I think you can guess what will happen next

Just a couple more until the end...

No comments: