jimmyelmo
kitty,cuddly,kitten,stuffed dog

Monday, February 5, 2018

DREAM ON - Chapter 1, Of Things To Come

As I mentioned in my previous post, I plan to re-type the short story I did when I was in grade school, summer of grade 6 if I am not mistaken so that is around summer of 1990.  
It's that old! 
So can you just imagine the mindset of a 12-year old.  I wrote this because I was envious of a classmate who wrote stories too and she's the better writer then.  

DREAM ON is a story about a boy who is transported back to the times of the gladiators in Rome... or was it? I can't quite recall anymore... I would be going through the story again as I retype it here...

DISCLAIMER: All scenes, characters, names and places that may be similar to real situations are all coincidental and are just made up of a 12-year old kid. 

 


            “Dream on, dream away,” Mikey sang as he was listening to the radio trying to knock himself to sleep.

            Within minutes he was snoring loudly after a hard day’s work at school.

            “Mikey…Mikey…Mikey!” said his mom.

            “He always leaves the lights on.  I better turn it off.”

            She immediately turned it off and in a snap Mikey woke up screaming.

            “Aaaaaaah! Help! Help!” Mikey screamed.

            “Mikey, wake up!” You’re only having a nightmare!  Wake up!” shouted Mrs. Williams.  Immediately  after saying this, she slapped Mikey on the face and quickly, Mikey was back to his senses.

            “Mom, I’m glad to see you!” said Mikey relieved.

            “What happened?” asked his mom waiting for an answer.

            At that moment Mr. Williams was dashing to the room of Mikey curious of what is happening.

            “What’s going on here?” asked Mr. Williams.

            “Mikey had a nightmare!” said Mrs. Williams.

            “What was it all about?” asked Mr. Williams.

            “It was a bad one, Dad.  It was so dark and then I saw a figure pleading for help.  Somewhat an old man with chains both tied on his wrists and ankles.  I was with him in a small dark cell filled with the sound of squeaking rats.  Outside the bars of the cell, I heard screams of people in fear.  In one corner, I saw a guard.  He had an armor, like that of the early Romans.  After seeing this, there was again darkness.  Then I woke up.”

            “What could that mean?” asked Mikey eagerly.

            “We don’t know son, we don’t know!” his mom said consolingly.

            “Come on let’s talk about this tomorrow.  We need enough rest tonight for tomorrow we need to get up early”, exclaimed Mikey’s dad.

            “Yes, Dad!” he answered.

            “Sleep tight,” his mom said as she tucked Mikey into bed.

            “Good night,” they said to each other.



            The next day, they all woke up early.

            Mrs. Williams was already cooking bacon, eggs and sausages and was toasting bread in their medium-sized kitchen.  It was filled with cabinets made out of oak tress.  It also had a round glass table in the middle of the kitchen and it was decorated with a vase filled with colourful daisies.  It also had China properlu fixed on the table waiting for hungry people.

            “HI, Mom” Mikey said upon reaching the kitchen.

            “What’s for breakfast, Mom?” asked Mikey as he kissed his mom. 

            “Just sit down and wait for your food,” retorted the lovely housewife.

            “Yes, Mom” uttered the twelve year old boy as he sat down on his place at the table. 

            “Hi, Dear” Mr. Williams said as he kissed his lovely wife.

            “Ready for work, sweetheart?” she asked.

            “I’m as ready as always, Dear” Mr. Williams said as he opened his paper to his favorite page.

            “Before anything else, let’s eat!” proclaimed Mrs. Williams.

            “Hmmmmm it tastes great!  You really can cook, Mom even better than a chef in a five star hotel!” exclaimed the young boy.

            “Okay now, finish your food.  You’ll be late for school,” she said.

            “Oh Mom, before I forget, what can you make about my dream last night?” he asked.  “Mom, are you even listening?”

            “Huh! Oh I’m sorry.  I wasn’t paying attention; I’m amazed with my own cooking,” she said as she took a bite on her bread.


            “Dear, why don’t you bring Mikey to school?” she asked.

            “Yes of course, Dear.  After I finish this article,” proclaimed Mr. Williams.

            “What is the article all about, Dad?” Mikey asked.

            “Huh? Oh it’s all about how you can go back in time through your dreams,” Mr. Williams answered.

            “Do you believe in that, Dear?” his wife asked.

            “Let’s see, it could be true,” protested Mr. Williams.  “Well we have to get going.”

            “Bye, Mom,” Mikey said.
           
            “See you, Dear,” his wife answered.

           
            As they stepped into their car, Mikey asked a sad question,  “Dad, I want to ask you something,” he said.

            “What is it?” Mr. Williams asked.

            “I know I’m only an adopted child and I like you and mom very much but I think I’m at the right age for me to know who my parents are,” Mikey said.

            “Don’t worry, you’ll get to meet them…in time,” Mr. Williams said.

            As he said this, he turned the key of the ignition and started the engine.  They darted onto the road and they were on their way.

           
            As he stepped out of the car, he his dad a kiss and he was hurrying to the gates of the school.

            As he darted through the gates of the school, he met his friends, Kate Lawrence, Liza Roberts and Livianne Smith.

            “Hi, Mikey, what’s up?” Livie asked.

            “Everything that’s up must come down, as we all know,” the humorous Kate said.

            “Well nothing much,” Mikey answered.

            “Well it’s another day… another day of learning what the word BORED really means,” Liza said the grouchiest amongst the friends.

            “Well it’s another dumb, stupid and ugghhh-ly day!” exclaimed Kate.

            In the middle of their conversation, they saw a new face coming their way.

            “Who is that boy?” Liza asked.

            “I think he is our new classmate,” well-briefed Livie said.

            “How did you know that?” asked Mikey.

            “Don’t you know that Livie is our walking newspaper.  She knows everything; in and out of the school,” Kate said.

            “I would like to give her a name for that, I’ll her Switchboard,” exclaimed Liza.

            “Ha ha very funny,” she said.

            After a few minutes of their conversation, the morning bell rang.  Each other waved goodbye to their friends and went to their respective classrooms; starting a new day of their semester.




________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: Gawd! If I were an English teacher now I would not accept this based on its first chapter hahaha Remember I was 12 years old then.... and retyping it now I lost count how many times I kept cringing at my choice words 

No comments: